Monday, March 27, 2006

Aural Elitism

I don’t know if it’s the marketer in me but have you all noticed how one can come across a group of people and start to subliminally classify them in one group or another. Helped with the numerous stereo-types that litter or lives its becoming harder and harder not to slot a person into a pre-conceived mould. Appearances, mannerisms, lifestyle, hobbies… the list is endless. It’s not something a person is usually proud of, but being judgmental is one of those traits God made sure all of us were endowed with. Or maybe not. I don’t know, maybe I am just trying to justify my own form of snobbery.

Well it’s a hard thing to confess but I’m a aural elitist. In my defense I am sure you have it in you too. Music somehow transcends normal art forms since it combines the visual (music videos), aural, as well as the written forms of expression. It’s a harmonious marriage of all three, and thus I view it as a barometer of what people would be like. You know how it works, “you listen to Pet-shop Boys?!! Are you stuck in the eighties, have you not discovered the new millennium??!! Are you gay?’… so many question and the only answer is the forgettable tune of pet shop boys trying to remix ‘where the streets have no name’. Its just that there seems to be a certain level of snobbery as far as music is concerned. Mainstream acts, such as bon jovi, backstreet boys, britney, etc. do not seem to elicit the acknowledgement that niche acts such as Prince and Alicia Keys seem to evoke. It’s a small thing, but it goes a long way in helping one to come to terms with their insecurities. Its OK to like something that gets airplay on MTV. Its okay to like something that your 13 year old sister likes. Don’t be ashamed. Embrace it.

Why bother even thinking about such a mundane insignificant thing aye? Let me explain… I was lounging on the couch casually flicking through the channels and Christina Aguilera’s ‘Beautiful’ happened to be on… a beautiful song I must admit, but its kind of hard to embrace the innate beauty of the message when you have a friend sitting there who believes anything on MTV is ‘corporate’ and another friend who is just waiting to pounce on the chink in the my armor of indie, lounge and alternative music. Tuff stuff. Maybe I am just too caught up with appearances, but hell I overcame. Kuuumbaya my lord ! maybe we all just need to care less about what we project and learn to object to the system that we all seem to be caught up in. just remember
You are beauuuuuuuuuuuuuuuutiful no matter what they say.

No comments: